Friday, November 23, 2007

Well, THAT was entertaining

The Wife and I spent a nice time at my folk's house for a pleasant
T-Giving dinner with a cousin and her hubby yesterday afternoon and
came home about 4pm. We put on our comfyPJs and sat down to watch "The Return of the King." The proceeding two nights we had watched the first two movies.

About half way through the film we paused for a pee break. I went into the bathroom, bent over to do some "catbox maintenance," stood up and did my business. As I was standing there (fortunately
just finishing) I began to black out. This is not uncommon with me when I stand up too fast, so I did what I usually do and steadied myself on the medicine cabinet. Then I was trying to keep from going "splat" on the floor while my muscles were twitching, my vision going all screwie, my hearing all muffled and trying to answer my wife with a mouth that didn't want to work. I have never had a spell like this last for more than a few seconds, but this just kept going on.

I managed to make it to one of the chairs in the kitchen, but my legs kept twitching, I was sweating profusely and my vision and hearing refused to clear. My wife, while having a bit of a freak-out, kept cool and called 911. I was able to talk and describe what was gong on. Next thing I knew I was dreaming and hearing K. (my wife) call my name. Yep, passed out proper like.

At this point I'm starting my own internal freak-out wondering if I'm having a stroke or something. The EMTs arrive, check me over, and tell me that most likely I've collapsed from low BP due to dehydration. I hadn't been drinking enough water and there just wasn't enough fluid in my body to keep the blood/O2 level in my brain when I stood up. They recommended that I go to the ER just in case it was something more serious. K. agreed. So did I. Off we went.

After several hours in the hospital ER, two liters of saline solution, tests
and more tests the Dr. determined that I had not had a heart attack, stroke or other nastiness but that it was most likely dehydration and a natural predisposition to postural hypertension (low BP after standing up). We got home at around 2:30am, watched the rest of the movie and went to bed around 4:30am.

I'm feeling "OK" today, but taking it easy and trying to remember to drink more water. Good Times.

1 comment:

Nathan Herald said...

sorry to hear about your "incident" hope everything is better for you. Found something that might cheer you up:

Six-string Samurai

If you want a copy, get me a blank cd (not dvd) on Mundane.

N.