Friday, November 16, 2007

My big news

Well things got pretty exciting for me today. I got a new office chair. Woo Hoo!! Ok, on the grand scale it's small potatoes (which are really tasty if you roast them with some onion and garlic), but for me it's pretty cool. I'm sitting in my new comfy office chair typing comfortably while my eyes are threatening to fall out of my head due to lack of sleep. It's all good.

I understand that I am a "notorious non-trad' student. Apparently I have a reputation as being well and frequently spoken (guilty on both counts) and even intimidate otherwise confident students until they get to know me (I hope). I learned this today when J., a very brilliant woman and a graduating senior and I were talking. She told me that when we entered the same class on the first day of the semester that she felt intimidated. She said my reputation had filtered down from the faculty. I'm not sure if I should feel complemented or afraid. Either way it won't stop me from talking.

While I'm on the subject of talking, I'm getting tired of having to be conscious of the other students. I keep waiting for the other students to jump into the discussions in class. I hold my comments until I'm sure I won't be steamrolling over anyone only to be met with the annoying silence of these children. I'm beginning to think that I should just make it clear that if they aren't going to use the class time then I will. Perhaps I'll suggest that the class should just be held in the professor's office where the two of us can talk more comfortably. Sheesh!

Ok. I need to go to bed.

BTW N., thanks for the comments. Catch you Monday.

1 comment:

Nathan Herald said...

. She said my reputation had filtered down from the faculty. I'm not sure if I should feel complemented or afraid.

Well, if the faculty is passing along your reputation, then obviously (to me at least) they are the ones who are afraid.

At least you've got that kind of reputation - mine is (and I kid you not) 'A what a wee gob of shite - he talks a good game, but pisses around with his work... when he bothers to show up'.

Oh, and by the way - I am finally remembering why I despised Dr. L's class so much. F*ckin' captivity narratives (rants off into distance)