Saturday, December 29, 2007

Go Figure

For a number of years (ok, maybe decades) I've hade a veague desire to try sailing, you know, the boat with the bedsheets and the broom stick thing that lets you skim the surface of the briny deep powered only by the breeze. Lately I've been thinking mora about it. A couple of semesters ago I had a professor who is an avid sailor. In a conversation about my least, and his absolute favorite novel, Moby Dick, he said that he thought that I would be the kind to really enjoy sailing. My wife did a bit of sailing in her youth and said she liked it. Hmmmmm.

Well, the other day I said that when we have some money that can be spent on a leasure activity, that I would like to get a small day boat and give this sailing thing a try. My wife agreed that that could be fun and so I started to search the web for small boats. I found some. I found a lot of them.

I found out that a "small" sailboat can be anything from 7 to 25 feet. Keep in mind that I'm thinking of learning to sail in Colorado. We only have maybe three lakes in the state that would be big enough to handle a boat of more than about 12 feet that had a keel more than 8 inches long.

I also found out that new boats in the size that I'm after run about a thousand dollars on the low end. That's a bit steep for me. So I started looking at used boats. WTF?! The little things I'm after are still over a grand but I'm finding LOTS of boats over 20 feet for less!

Maybe I'll go back to looking at a crate with the broomstick and bed sheet.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I've seen sailboats on Blue Mesa...hey, if you get a boat, can I go for a ride?

Unknown said...

Boats...little vessels sitting atop (hopefully) the deep blue sea... Nope. No thanks! But hey, iffin you DO have a go at it, take some piccies wouldja? That'd be cool.

I hope you do get a chance to go boating or sailing or (implied nasal tone) "yachting". I think you'd be great at it!